Burt the Binman needs your votes for business competition
- Credit: Archant
A St Neots mum who is about to embark on her third childrens’ book is taking part in a competition to discover new business talent.
The Voom campaign offers a share of £1 million-pounds to two people who can pitch a successful business idea and the winner will be chosen by Richard Branson.
Fleur Bateman is now widely recognised in the St Neots’ area for her Burt the Binman books and her campaign, aimed at children, to promote awareness about recycling and waste.
Fleur, from Great Paxton, was inspired to write after struggling to find appropriate material for her 10-year-old son William who was fascinated by refuse lorries and collections.
The finishing touches are being made to her second book, Burt and the Great Storm, which is due to be published soon, and she has plans to write a third.
You may also want to watch:
Entries for the Voom campaign close on May 8 and the public can vote to select their favourite business idea. The public vote closes on May 15 and then on May 21, 80 of the best businesses will make a live pitch at which six finalists will be selected. The winning six will present in front of four judges and Richard Branson will choose his favourite two who will share the £1 million.
Fleur needs people to go online and vote for Burt the Binman so she makes it to the final 80 contestants and has the chance to make her live pitch in May.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
“We need lots of votes to help us get seen and help us towards getting backing for this brilliant project. The Voom campaign helps to get small business ventures seen and all the votes we receive can help towards pitching and investment from Virgin Media who sponsor the event,” said Fleur.
She added: “We have created a wonderful educational website for children https://www.burtsrecycleschool.co.uk/ which is a great teaching resource we want to give to schools and early years settings to educate children about the environment. Any financial backing we can get will go towards animation and story books for children. We are hoping to work with Huntingdon District council in the near future to try and make children more mindful about the environment.”
INFO: Check out the Burt the Binman website at: www.burtsrecycleschool.co.uk and to vote for Fleur’s Voom business pitch, go to: www.voom.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/pitches/changing-britain-one-bin-at-a-time.