Burglars demand cash from 90-year-old man in raid on house in St Ives
- Credit: Archant
Masked men broke into the homes of elderly people and demanded cash.
The burglaries happened on Tuesday (December 15) in Brook Way, St Ives and St Ives Road, Somersham.
In the first incident, at just after 8pm, two men forced open the door of a mobile home in Brook Way, confronted a woman in her 80s and demanded money.
She told them that she didn’t have any so the men made off with two handbags, one containing approximately £60 cash, and a hat belonging to her late husband, which contained medication.
In the second, detectives believe the same men, plus one other, forced open the back door of the property and confronted the occupant, a man in his 90s, who was in bed.
They demanded money but he sounded a panic alarm and they fled empty-handed.
One of the men was wearing a balaclava and the other a woolly hat pulled over his face. There is no further description of the third man. They possibly left the scene in a small hatchback car.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 5 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 8 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
DC Jo Grant, who is investigating, said: “Both victims are elderly and this was very distressing for them, particularly for the woman as the hat was of great sentimental value. I would appeal for anyone with any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, to contact police.”
Anyone with information should call DC Grant or Detective Sergeant Sarah Sleaford, from the Huntingdonshire burglary team, on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.
The two incidents came amid a spate of five burglaries which took place between 6pm on Tuesday, December 15, and the early hours of the following morning, in St Ives and the surrounding area.