Burglar who was caught on CCTV jailed
- Credit: Archant
A Burglar who was captured on CCTV breaking into a property in a Cambridgeshire village has been jailed for more than a year.
Shane Smith, 34, forced his way into the house in Rogers Close, Elsworth, shortly after 4.30pm on 17 September.
He searched the property, stealing a jar full of change and a rucksack containing a passport and about £400 in cash.
However, the property had motion detecting cameras fitted inside that captured clear still images of Smith.
When Smith, of Haden Way, Willingham, was arrested a shirt and a coat were seized that matched those he was seen wearing in the CCTV images.
On Tuesday (13 November) at Cambridge Crown Court he was sentenced to a year and three months in prison, having pleaded guilty to burglary at a previous hearing.
DC Stuart Webling said: “Tackling burglary is a force priority as we know the significant impact it can have on victims.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 7 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 8 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
“This case shows how effective home security measures can be. The stills captured in the victim’s property were vital in bringing Smith to justice.”