Burglar who was caught on CCTV jailed
- Credit: Archant
A Burglar who was captured on CCTV breaking into a property in a Cambridgeshire village has been jailed for more than a year.
Shane Smith, 34, forced his way into the house in Rogers Close, Elsworth, shortly after 4.30pm on 17 September.
He searched the property, stealing a jar full of change and a rucksack containing a passport and about £400 in cash.
However, the property had motion detecting cameras fitted inside that captured clear still images of Smith.
When Smith, of Haden Way, Willingham, was arrested a shirt and a coat were seized that matched those he was seen wearing in the CCTV images.
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday (13 November) at Cambridge Crown Court he was sentenced to a year and three months in prison, having pleaded guilty to burglary at a previous hearing.
DC Stuart Webling said: “Tackling burglary is a force priority as we know the significant impact it can have on victims.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 8 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
“This case shows how effective home security measures can be. The stills captured in the victim’s property were vital in bringing Smith to justice.”