Buckden scouts host English breakfast morning to raise money for German trip
MORE than 200 eggs, 240 rashers of bacon, 120 sausages and dozens of cans of baked beans were dished up by Buckden scouts in a bid to raise �3,500 for a summer trip.
The youngsters from 1st Southoe and Buckden scout group served 120 full English breakfasts throughout the morning of and raised �330 towards their two-week expedition to Cologne in Germany.
A group of 20 scouts will be travelling to the German city in August to visit friends and take part in Mi Mundo, an international summer camp near Cologne.
The scouts hosted a visiting group of German scouts from Cologne for two weeks last summer and camped with them at the international scout camp CamJam at Huntingdon Racecourse.
The �3,500 is needed to cover the costs of a coach, which will remain with the group throughout the trip.
A fundraising committee has been set up to help reach the target. Among the events planned is a jumble sale on Saturday (March 17) at the Bucken scout hut, in Luck’s Lane, between 2pm and 4pm.
The scouts will also be bag-packing at Tesco, Huntingdon, on March 31, a race night on April 21 at Buckden School, a quiz night at Buckden Scout Hut on May 12, and a barn dance and raffle on June 29.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 7 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 8 Councillors vote to continue school transport for special needs schools
- 9 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
The scouts are also looking out for any jobs in the area that can be performed by them for a donation during community week from May 14-20.
Aidan Joy, scout leader, said: “It is really important that the Scouts themselves do most of the work towards this. It gives them a clear message that if something is worth having, it is worth working hard for, and they are getting some great training and experience while they are doing it.”
INFORMATION: The jumble sale will take place at Buckden Scout Hut, from 2pm to 4pm. Entry 20p. Refreshments and cake stall. To contact Aiden e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org