BREAKING NEWS: Police confirm body found in Cambridgeshire river is that of missing boy
POLICE confirmed tonight the body found in a Cambridgeshire river is that of missing Peterborough school boy Theo Kawala.
A police spokesman confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death. The coroner has been informed and a post mortem will take place on Monday.
The family has been informed and police support teams are with them.
Det Chief Insp Kevin Vanterpool tonight thanked the community, friends and the media for their support during the month long hunt for the 16 year-old.
“The family has suffered a tragic loss and our thoughts are with them at this time,” he said.
He asked for the media not to contact Theo’s family and to respect their privacy as they try to come to terms with the tragic loss of their son.
Police searching for Theo were called at 7.30pm last night to the River Nene in Peterborough, close to Charter’s pub, after it was spotted by a passer-by.
- 1 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 2 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 3 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 4 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 5 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 6 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 7 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 8 Martial Arts group praised by mayor after winning trophies national competition
- 9 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 10 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
Spartan Rescue and the fire service were called to assist police recovering the body. Part of the riverbank was closed while the recovery took place.
The body was taken to Peterborough City Hospital and Theo’s family were informed about the discovery.
Theo, 16, was reported missing by his father who had last seen him at 7.30pm on February 18 when he dropped him off in the city centre to spend the evening with friends.
Theo was last seen in Bridge Street heading towards the river.