Brampton teenager to share her love of netball in Africa
- Credit: Archant
A teenager from Brampton is raising money to fund a trip to Africa so that she can teach disadvantaged youngsters how to play netball.
Saffron Leheup-Wright, 15, plays goal keeper and goal defence for Hinchingbrooke School and the Hawks team in Wyton, and coaches an under-14s side at the Huntingdon school.
The teenager, who lives in Belle Isle Crescent, started playing netball at the age of eight and feels passionately about the game and inspiring others to take part in the sport.
“I am quite nervous about the trip, but I feel excited as well,” she said.
“There will be a big group of us going out there, but I don’t know anyone else who is going so it will seem a bit strange at first.
“The schools out in Kenya and Uganda are not well equipped so we will be doing something really positive in developing personal skills and the sport.”
Saffron needs to raise £1,800 and has organised several fundraising events to pay for her three-week trip, which starts on July 2.
- 1 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 2 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 3 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 4 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
- 5 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Pub of the Year finalists
- 6 'The impossible is possible' - Cambs' Kat Cordiner breaks Atlantic record
- 7 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 8 New fleet for Huntingdon care provider
- 9 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 10 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
She is volunteering with the Netball Development Trust, a netball coaching programme that sets up teaching programmes in some of the poorest regions in the world.
“The aim is to introduce the game to boys and girls who do not have access to sports facilities, kit and equipment,” she explained.
Saffron’s next fundraiser is a quiz night at The Medway Centre in Huntingdon on April 24. She is also looking for people to donate raffle prizes, and netball kits, bibs and balls to take out with her.
“I am more than happy to come and pick items up or they can be dropped off at The Medway Centre in Medway Road, Huntingdon,” she said.
INFORMATION: Financial donations can be made by going to www.mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/saffronleheup. For more on the Netball Development Trust, visit wwwnetballtrust.co.uk.