Brampton councillor Peter Downes resigns after 15 years
- Credit: Archant
A DISTRICT council by-election has been called following the resignation of Brampton councillor Peter Downes.
Councillor Downes has represented the ward for more than 15 years, serving continuously since his election in November 1997.
He has been leader of the Liberal Democrat Group since May 2003 and was also chairman of one of the council’s first overview and scrutiny panels from 2000 to 2002.
The by-election will take place on Thursday, May 2, on the same day as the county council elections.
Prior to becoming a district councillor, Cllr Downes taught languages in grammar and comprehensive schools and was head teacher for 21 years at Hinchingbrooke School. He was awarded an OBE in 1998, for services to language teaching and educational management, and is still heavily involved in education policy at national level. This, together with his work as a county councillor, is taking all of this efforts.
You may also want to watch:
Executive leader of HDC Jason Ablewhite said: “Councillor Downes has played a key role at the district council over many years and has made a very valuable contribution. He has made a positive difference to the lives of the people who live and work in Huntingdonshire. On behalf of the whole council, I would like to thank him for his commitment, dedication and hard work.”
Cllr Downes is currently appointed to council, elections working group, employment panel, employees liaison advisory group, members development group and standards committee. He has also been appointed as the district council’s representative on the Children’s Trust for Huntingdonshire for 2012/13.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan