Bird’s nest catches fire in St Neots chimney

A BIRD’S nest in a chimney caught fire near St Neots.

Fire fighters used chimney rods to dislodge the blockage in Main Road, Stonely and extinguish the blaze.

Vinnie Crook, crew manager at St Neots, said: “A new flue had been installed for the wood burning stove, and had been swept, but a bird’s nest caught alight in the original chimney, which was no longer in use.

“If a chimney is not in use, it is a good idea to get it covered to prevent blockages such as bird’s nests.”

The accidental fire broke out at 2pm yesterday, with fire fighters returning to their base by 3.40pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter