FIREFIGHTERS have praised the actions of a resident after bedroom furniture caught fire in a house in Tilbrook.

Crews from Kimbolton and St Neots were called to reports of a fire on the first floor of a large house, approximately 25x20sqm, in the High Street on Saturday (February 4) at 4.40pm.

When firefighter arrived, they called for back up, and a fire engine from Raunds, Northamptonshire, was sent.

The fire is said to have started by a blockage in a chimney and the heat radiating to furniture causing the blaze.

The homeowner discovered the fire and then closed the door helping the firefighter contain the fire to the bedroom.

A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "The resident did the right thing when discovering the fire and shut the door and keeping out. Firefighters worked extremely hard to stop the fire spreading which was helped by the closed door."

Police were also in attendance, monitoring the road, as the house was on a blind corner.