Become an eco-driver
THE more we travel the greater our impact on our environment by the fuel we use. Depending on the type of cars we buy and how we drive, we can greatly decrease this. When buying a car, it s better for the environment and your pocket if you buy one that su
THE more we travel the greater our impact on our environment by the fuel we use. Depending on the type of cars we buy and how we drive, we can greatly decrease this.
When buying a car, it's better for the environment and your pocket if you buy one that suits your needs.
Do you really need six seats for a family of four, and what about fuel-efficiency and running costs? The lower the vehicle's emissions the lower the tax you will pay. Also, consider your mileage - and should you buy petrol or diesel, as each has a different effect on the environment?
Apart from your choice of car, there are many other ways in which you can be a smarter 'eco-driver'. Under-inflated tyres reduce fuel efficiency so, by checking and adjusting your vehicle's tyre pressures regularly, you can make savings. Removing unnecessary clutter from your car and boot reduces the engine's workload and helps to save fuel, as does driving at an appropriate speed and not over-revving your engine.
You may also want to watch:
For more information and tips visit http://campaigns.direct.gov.uk/actonco2/home.html
Depending on your vehicle, may want to consider an LPG conversion. LPG vehicles emit 20 per cent less CO2 than petrol or diesel vehicles and fuel costs are much lower - up to 40 per cent mile-for-mile - and your conversion can be carried out locally. For more information visit www.thelpgcentre.co.uk
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 7 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers