Battle with drink led to death of widower from Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
A widower died from alcohol poisoning after battling with a drinking problem, an inquest heard.
Raymond Thomas was found by his friend, Andy Murphy, at his home in Countess Close, Eaton Socon, on May 12.
The 54-year-old had been known to be a “heavy drinker” for many years but his friend, Mr Murphy, told police officers that Mr Thomas was trying to “push his addiction to alcohol”.
An inquest into his death, held at Lawrence Court, in Huntingdon, on Thursday, was told that, on the day of his death, Mr Murphy had come to collect his friend to take him to a meeting but discovered him face down on the floor.
In a statement given the Cambridgeshire police officer Lynsey Green, Mr Murphy said: “I found a mobile phone in his left hand.
You may also want to watch:
“I called the emergency services and they told me to clear space for the paramedics – I had moved some of the bottles further away from him.”
A post mortem carried out by Dr Martin Goddard, of Papworth Hospital, revealed that Mr Thomas “had a history of alcohol abuse that had worsened recently.”
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
At the time of his death, Mr Thomas was almost five times over the legal alcohol limit, he was found to have 380 millilitres per 100 millilitres of blood, the legal limit is 80.
The senior coroner for Peterborough and Cambridgeshire, David Heming, recorded a conclusion of acute alcohol poisoning that was associated to a “clinical condition that was alcohol related”.