Barretts confirms it will be closing down
- Credit: Archant
Barretts in St Neots has today (Thursday) confirmed it will be closing down.
The department store, that has been operating in the town for 127 years, announced at the end of last year that trading conditions were challenging and it may be forced to shut up shop.
Director Alan Huckle told The Hunts Post two weeks ago that a dramatic fall in customer traffic over the past 12 months had left the store fighting for its place on the high street.
“The decline has been dramatic - it all happened very quickly,” he said.
Adding: “I think it’s fair to say that the traditional high street is under more pressure now than it ever has been.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Huckle used Twitter to announce the news and thanked his supporters. A closing down sale starts on June 3.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity