Bake-off event at fire service headquarters raises hundreds of pounds for charity
- Credit: Archant
Great British Bake-Off fever hit Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service headquarters in Huntingdon, with more than £200 raised for charity.
The charity bake-off was held to raise money for Stand Up To Cancer, an annual fundraising campaign that brings the UK together to accelerate progress in cancer research.
Staff brought in their finest bakes to donate to a cake sale. In addition, four showstopper cakes, including an edible pair of firefighter boots and Cookie Monster cake, were raffled off to staff and visitors.
Stand-ins for show judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith were found in deputy chief executive, Matthew Warren and assistant chief fire officer, Rick Hylton, who sampled all of the cakes and awarded best bakes.
The first prize award was given to recruitment team manager, Sam Sanderson, who whisked up chocolate brownies.
You may also want to watch:
Bake-off organiser and head of media and communication, Hayley Douglas said “I was sat enjoying the celebrity bake-off and was inspired to organise an event at work. It’s a cause close to so many people which I think is reflected in the generosity of staff on the day.
“We clearly have some very talented bakers at headquarters. It was a fun way to raise some money and contribute to the fantastic work of the Cancer Research charity.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 9 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need