Author publishes third book on the history of Somersham
- Credit: Archant
A local author has published a new book about “one of the most significant events” in the modern history of Somersham.
Alan Draper carried out lengthy research into the 1908 Somersham Pageant which, he believes, was one of the first pageants of its type to have taken place in Huntingdonshire.
The pageant was themed around the history of the village.
Alan, who moved to Somersham with his wife Jean in 2006, became interested in the subject when he helped out at a heritage exhibition held in 2008, using information gleaned from old parish magazines he found hidden in a chest.
He went on to use the material from the exhibition to publish his first book, Somersham Heritage, following up with Somersham Then & Now.
You may also want to watch:
His latest book, The Somersham Pageant is his third and contains 30 photos that were taken at the time of the event.
Alan, a former science teacher, said: “I am pleased to have written my third book because all of the profits from my book go towards improvements on the St John the Baptist Church.
- 1 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 2 New chief operating officer appointed at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 3 Competition launched to name new St Ives park
- 4 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 5 Football club is now a mobile testing centre for coronavirus
- 6 Dog owners urged to take extra precautions after spate of thefts
- 7 Letters to the Editor
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 Covid-19 vaccine rolled out at care home in Huntingdon
- 10 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
“This summer the church is planning to have a new heating system installed which is a very large expensive project.
“I am sure that even the relatively small amount of money that I managed to raise from the sale of my book will be valued.”
The book costs £7.50 plus £1.50 postage and be purchased from Alan by calling 01487 741531.