Arsonists believed to be behind straw bale fire in Needingworth
- Credit: Archant
A barn fire in Needingworth, which saw 500 tonnes of straw go up in flames, is believed to have been started deliberately.
The blaze started at about 9pm on Monday night, with police and fire and rescue crews called to attend a barn in Lowndes Drove.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters arrived to find a barn containing 500 tonnes of straw well alight.
“Crews from Cottenham, Ely, Burwell, Papworth, March, Gamlingay, St Neots, Ramsey, Huntingdon, St Ives and Chatteris have been in attendance overnight. The water carrier and welfare unit have also been in attendance.
“Working in sections, firefighters used two hose reels and a jet to get the fire under control and protect nearby buildings.”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman added that, following investigations, the cause of the fire is believed to be deliberate.
Anyone with information should contact police by visiting www.cambs.police.uk to submit an online report or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 9 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 10 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives