Andy set to take on biggest challenge yet to raise money for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A St Neots man is set to compete in an Iron Man Triathlon, in a bid to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Andy Neeves, is set to complete an Ironman competition, which involves swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles and running 26.2 miles, all in one go.
The 49 year-old father of two, who is part of Nice Tri St Neots triathlon club says that this is his biggest challenge yet, and although he has completed triathlons before, he is nervous about this one.
He said: “Three years ago I decided I needed to get fit, I weighed nearly 19 stones and could not walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath.
Stupidly one night I signed up to do a Triathlon having taken inspiration from my little sister.
“Three triathlon seasons and five stones lighter and having completed around 15 triathlons I have signed up to complete Ironman UK.
The event, which is on July 15, has to be completed in under 17 hours, racking up a total of 140 miles that will be either, swam, ran or cycled on the day.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 3 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 4 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 5 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 6 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 9 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
“All of my previous endeavours have been about personal achievement, however this time I want to do something that will help a charity, the thought of letting people down when things get tough will spur me on to dig deep and complete this event.
“Training for this event would not be possible if it was not for the support of Caroline and the girls, they have supported all my endeavours to date but understand this is the biggest commitment yet.
To sponsor Andy visit: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/andy-neeves