Andy set to take on biggest challenge yet to raise money for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A St Neots man is set to compete in an Iron Man Triathlon, in a bid to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Andy Neeves, is set to complete an Ironman competition, which involves swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles and running 26.2 miles, all in one go.
The 49 year-old father of two, who is part of Nice Tri St Neots triathlon club says that this is his biggest challenge yet, and although he has completed triathlons before, he is nervous about this one.
He said: “Three years ago I decided I needed to get fit, I weighed nearly 19 stones and could not walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath.
Stupidly one night I signed up to do a Triathlon having taken inspiration from my little sister.
You may also want to watch:
“Three triathlon seasons and five stones lighter and having completed around 15 triathlons I have signed up to complete Ironman UK.
The event, which is on July 15, has to be completed in under 17 hours, racking up a total of 140 miles that will be either, swam, ran or cycled on the day.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 8 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 9 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 10 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
“All of my previous endeavours have been about personal achievement, however this time I want to do something that will help a charity, the thought of letting people down when things get tough will spur me on to dig deep and complete this event.
“Training for this event would not be possible if it was not for the support of Caroline and the girls, they have supported all my endeavours to date but understand this is the biggest commitment yet.
To sponsor Andy visit: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/andy-neeves