Ambulance service investigating failings over death of Hinchingbrooke School student

Elouise Keeling, who died following an asthma attack in June

Elouise Keeling, who died following an asthma attack in June - Credit: Archant

THE ambulance service is investigating whether a delay in reaching a teenage girl was a factor in her death.

Elouise Keeling, who attended Hinchingbrooke School, died whilst at an Air Cadet meeting at RAF Brampton on Tuesday, June 25, after suffering an asthma attack.

The 14-year-old, who lived with her family in Grafham Road, Ellington, was unconscious when the ambulance arrived and despite attempts of paramedics to revive her, she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Following Elouise’s death the East England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) said that it had received a 999 call at 7.44pm, and its staff had arrived at the incident at 7.59pm, 14 minutes and 29 seconds later.

However, EEAST yesterday (Tuesday) was unable to confirm whether these figures were accurate.

Elouise’s mother Karen Keeling, claims that further delays were caused by a first ambulance going to RAF Wyton instead of RAF Brampton, which meant another ambulance to had to be sent.

She told The Hunts Post that the second ambulance arrived at 8.03pm – giving a response time more than double the eight minute nationally set target.

Most Read

Mrs Keeling, 33, said: “Ellie called me herself to say that she had bad asthma and when I got there she was unconscious.

“We definitely know that the ambulance went to RAF Wyton and when the second one was sent it only took four minutes to get to Brampton.”

She added: “We are absolutely devastated and heartbroken at the loss of Elouise and our lives will never be the same without her.

“All we want now is justice and to make sure that nobody has to go through what we have again.”

When RAF Brampton closed in April last year many of its operations moved over to RAF Wyton, with the Brampton Camp’s address now listed under RAF Wyton’s postcode on the base’s website.

A spokesman from EEAST, said that no further details of the incident could be revealed until the findings of the investigation were completed.

The spokesman said: “The reason that the incident is being investigated is that it is classed as a potentially serious incident – the basic definition of which is an incident where a failing in an ambulance service process could have potentially led to further harm to a patient.

“The incident is currently undergoing a full internal investigation. The patient’s family are aware of this and are being kept fully informed throughout the process.”

Elouise, who had asthma from the age of 18 months, was described by her mother as a “bright, happy and healthy young girl”.

Her family thanked the 350 people who attended Elouise’s funeral in Ellington on July 5, where a walk took place from the village green to the church where she was buried.

An inquest was opened and adjourned shortly after Elouise’s death.