“Fantastic amount of entries” at Alconbury and District Show despite dry summer
- Credit: Archant
More than 200 people attended the Alconbury and District Show which attracted a “fantastic amount of entries”.
The annual show was held at the Memorial Hall, in Alconbury, on September 22.
“We had a fantastic amount of entries in the fruit, vegetable and flower section despite this year’s dry summer,” said committee chairman Liz Gabriolek.
“We also had a huge amount of entries in the home-produce section, especially preserves as well as painted pebbles in the children’s section which proved very popular and created a colourful and stunning display.”
There were also handicrafts and a ‘make a poppy’ with entrants making poppies from fabric, felt, paper and embroidery.
You may also want to watch:
“There were some wonderful photos in the ‘winter’ class which reminded us of the harsh weather we had last winter, a distant memory before the long, hot dry summer,” added Liz.
Visitors enjoyed cream teas and a raffle. There were also competitions, including ‘guess the weight of the cake’ to win a beautifully decorated chocolate cake which was made by one of the show judges.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
Winners: British Legion Cup - Clive Adams; Nora Wood Memorial Cup - Kathryn Broe; WI Produce Cup - Corinne Nobbs; WI Garood Cup (Grey)- Fiona McKay; Phil Dix Memorial Cup - Sue Barber; WI Childrens Cup - Olivia Webster-Brawn; Teenage Cup - Charlotte Watson; The Parish Pump Cup - Mark Kember; The Barry Freeman Memorial Cup - Andy Hose; The Paula Stock Cup - Mick Hose; Ann Howard Cup - Clive Adams and British Legion Ladies Cup - Pauline Brice.