Aircraft hangar in Warboys set to begin new life as angling superstore
- Credit: Archant
A former aircraft hangar in Warboys is set to start a new life as a tackle superstore for a national angling retailer.
Opening on August 26, the new Fishing Republic store, located on the former Warboys airfield, has created six jobs, and is expected to be open seven days a week.
The overhaul of the hangar took about eight months to complete but almost came to a disastrous halt when part of the building collapsed in the freak gusts caused by Storm Doris, back in February.
Area manager Steve Calder said: “When we took on the lease, in January of this year, we knew we would have much to do: for starters, there was no drainage and no mains electricity. But we love a challenge, and were confidently looking forward to a June opening. Then came Storm Doris.
“When one of the walls was blown down, we were compelled not just to rebuild the affected area, but to reinforce the entire building, as well as the walls of the adjoining units.
“Inevitably, this put our plans back a couple of months. But it had to be done: though we were advised that the collapse was caused by an unprecedented confluence of wind and other factors - meaning there was probably a one-in-a-million chance of a recurrence - we were not willing to take any chances.”
Since the work was carried out, there have been no further setbacks for the team, and Mr Calder and his staff say they are looking forward to opening.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 5 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 9 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 10 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
He said: “When the unit became available, we didn’t hesitate; Warboys is at the heart of some of the finest river and lake angling in the country.
“It’s handy for main roads, including the A14 and A1, and just as importantly, it’s a big unit: more than 7,000 square feet which allows us plenty of room to store and display an enormous range of tackle, bait, clothing and accessories - catering to the needs of carp, match, game anglers and general pleasure fishers alike.”
As with previous Fishing Republic openings, the launch of the Warboys store will be marked with a fishing tackle sale, featuring poles at trade prices, rods and discounts on reels, bivvies, and shelters.