A14 fully reopens after part of road was closed after lorry crash
- Credit: Archant
Motorists still face long delays in Cambridgeshire following an accident on the A14 this morning.
The crash, which saw one lane of the road closed between J26 and J29 after a trailer carrying a 15 tonne load overturned at junction 28a at Lolworth, had a huge impact on roads across the county.
The inside lanes of the A14 were reopened at about 8.30am, with the remaining lane of the eastbound carriageway opening at around 1pm. The westbound carriageway was fully reopened by 5pm.
A Highways Agency (HA) spokesman said: “One lane of the eastbound carriageway remained closed while 75 metres of barrier were replaced. The eastbound carriageway reopened shortly after 1pm.
“Highways Agency contractors then moved on to replace the 114 metres of barrier on the westbound carriageway. This reopened shortly before 5pm.”
Not only was the Girton junction with the A14 closed to northbound traffic, but queues on the eastbound A14 were stretching back from Girton and the M11 to Spittals.
The A1123, A1198, A428 and roads through St Ives, Godmanchester and Huntingdon all faced heavy congestion as traffic was diverted onto alternative routes.
- 1 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 2 St Ivo Academy celebrate the success of its star girls teams and international call ups
- 3 St Ivo Dance alumnae stars in Britain's Got Talent, the West End and Comic Relief
- 4 Hunts history festival kicked off with a bang!
- 5 New archdeacon for Huntingdon and Wisbech
- 6 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 7 Huntingdon is 'prime example' of good infrastructure in region
- 8 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 9 Rumpelstiltskin panto coming to Buckden this weekend
- 10 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
A car broke out in flames on the Buckden roundabout of the A1 at 7.45am, compiling motorists’ Monday morning mayhem. The road was closed for a number of hours with queues backing up to Black Cat roundabout and Brampton Hut.