Burglar caught red-handed by home owner in St Neots is jailed
- Credit: Cambridgeshire Police
Shane Barr filled five bags with clothing, electronics, candles, food and drink.
A burglar who was caught red-handed and chased by a startled homeowner in the middle of the night has been jailed for one year.
Shane Barr, 32, used a tool to force his way into a home in Berkley Street, St Neots, in the early hours of May 9.
Barr filled five bags with clothing, electronics, candles, food and drink before placing them outside to be collected later on.
As he continued to search the house, banging open an airing cupboard door, he woke the homeowner who confronted him.
You may also want to watch:
Barr apologised to the man, who is in his 50s, before fleeing on a bike towards St Mary’s Street, closely followed by the victim who gave chase.
When the victim returned home to phone police he found his rear doors had been forced open and his hedge trimmer in his conservatory, which had also been left there ready to be collected later on.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Two days later Barr was in custody for a separate matter when he was identified by local officers through CCTV footage at the house.
Following a search of his partner’s home in St Neots a blue rucksack, which had been stolen during the burglary, was recovered.
Barr, of no fixed abode, was sentenced at Peterborough Crown Court yesterday (8 July) after pleading guilty to burglary at an earlier hearing.
DC Neil Gibbs, who investigated, said: “The thought of a stranger sneaking around your house while you and your loved ones are asleep is the stuff of nightmares.
“This case highlights the importance of home security as thanks to the CCTV footage we were able to identify Barr and bring him to justice.”
For online burglary prevention advice visit: https://bit.ly/2BRUlJf