Liviu Groparu has been jailed after he stalked his ex-girlfriend and set her car on fire.

The victim, Groparu's former partner, began receiving threatening messages from unknown phone numbers and Facebook accounts a few days after her relationship ended with Groparu in November 2022.

Groparu was behind all of the unknown numbers and Facebook accounts.

One message to the victim read that they were "free to do what they want" to her now that she was no longer in a relationship.

The victim's parents also received an anonymous message that had abusive words about their daughter.

The victim believed that all of the calls and messages were from a previous partner from years back.

Groparu lied to the victim and told her that he had been receiving the messages as well.

He also called the victim's parents and told them that he was afraid for their daughter, and that something bad could happen to her "because of these dangerous people".

On December 8 at 5:30pm, the victim received a message telling her to go outside as there was a surprise there for her.

At the same time, Groparu called her and asked if anything had happened to her or her car, as he claimed he'd received a message saying: "Your princess has a surprise on her car."

When she went outside, she found a handwritten note on the windscreen and her tyres had been slashed.

A few days later, she received another message at 8:30am from an unknown number stating that she had destroyed Groparu's life.

The message said that the slashed tyres were a "warning" and threatened to "burn her without hesitation" if she went to the police.

The victim's parents received another message that suggested their daughter would be "mutilated for life" and that "no one would love her anymore."

Later that day, while she was at a friend’s house, the victim’s brother called her to say he had received a message from an unknown person telling him that his sister’s car was on fire.

The victim ran outside and was left reeling in shock when she saw firefighters tackling flames coming from her car at a nearby carpark.

Groparu then called her to ask her what was going on and told he wanted to see her and, despite telling him no, he turned up, insisting on waiting with her until the police arrived.

Following the arson attack and campaign of harassment, officers took the victim to an undisclosed safe place.

However, their investigations revealed that Groparu was the perpetrator, having traced all the calls and messages back to him.

Groparu denied the charges of two counts of stalking, arson and criminal damage, but was found guilty of all counts following a trial earlier this year.

Recommended Reading: Facebook: Isaac Barry has been jailed for goading police

On Wednesday (13 March) at Huntingdon Law Courts, Liviu Groparu, 38, from Peveral Road, Cambridge, was sentenced to three years in prison and handed a five-year restraining order.

Detective Sergeant Kenny Reeves said: "Groparu’s actions left his victim feeling frightened and it was a traumatic experience for her and her family to go through.

“Groparu manipulated the victim so he could persistently stalk and harass her and believed this would enable him to frighten her into rekindling the relationship. Stalking can be a terrifying experience and leave victims feeling isolated and frightened.

“This case highlights that stalking isn’t a one-off crime and often includes a series of incidents which, when taken in isolation may seem trivial, but when put together can be very scary.

“We would encourage anyone who fears they may be being stalked or harassed to get in touch. We’re here for victims 24/7 and will support them, as well as do all we can to bring offenders to justice.”