12.36AM: Jill Tuck predicts increased NE Cambs Tory majority and Cambridge success
CAMBRIDGESHIRE County Council leader Jill Tuck believes the Conservatives will increase their majority in NE Cambs tonight. Cllr Tuck – a Conservative councillor also on Fenland District Coun
Story by: ANDREW PAPWORTH at the HUDSON LEISURE CENTRE, WISBECH
CAMBRIDGESHIRE County Council leader Jill Tuck believes the Conservatives will increase their majority in NE Cambs tonight.
Cllr Tuck - a Conservative councillor also on Fenland District Council - said candidate Steve Barclay is set to exceed expectations by building on Malcolm Moss' stronghold over the opposition.
Tory counting agents are tallying the number of votes polled for each candidate to get a clear idea of where their vote is strongest. They believe Mr Barclay is well ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Tuck said: "It looks as if Steve has romped home. I think he's going to increase his majority. If he did, it would be excellent because he has only just been selected.
"Steve is an excellent candidate who has worked very hard. The Conservatives in Fenland are never complacent and we have all headed for our patches to campaign."
- 1 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 2 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 3 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 4 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 5 HSBC is to close its branch in Huntingdon, it has been announced
- 6 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 7 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 8 100-year-old care home resident reveals secret to a long life
- 9 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 10 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
Cllr Tuck also believes Cambridge candidate Nick Hillman is heading for a strong result in the city.
Nationally, she believes there needs to be a "decisive decision" so the Government has clear mandate to lead the country.