12.36AM: Jill Tuck predicts increased NE Cambs Tory majority and Cambridge success
CAMBRIDGESHIRE County Council leader Jill Tuck believes the Conservatives will increase their majority in NE Cambs tonight. Cllr Tuck – a Conservative councillor also on Fenland District Coun
Story by: ANDREW PAPWORTH at the HUDSON LEISURE CENTRE, WISBECH
CAMBRIDGESHIRE County Council leader Jill Tuck believes the Conservatives will increase their majority in NE Cambs tonight.
Cllr Tuck - a Conservative councillor also on Fenland District Council - said candidate Steve Barclay is set to exceed expectations by building on Malcolm Moss' stronghold over the opposition.
Tory counting agents are tallying the number of votes polled for each candidate to get a clear idea of where their vote is strongest. They believe Mr Barclay is well ahead.
Cllr Tuck said: "It looks as if Steve has romped home. I think he's going to increase his majority. If he did, it would be excellent because he has only just been selected.
"Steve is an excellent candidate who has worked very hard. The Conservatives in Fenland are never complacent and we have all headed for our patches to campaign."
- 1 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 2 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 3 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 6 Garages to to be replaced by affordable housing
- 7 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 8 St Ives Town Mayor visits The Filling Station and tries new Christmas Beer
- 9 Woman dies in crash on London Road in St Ives
- 10 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
Cllr Tuck also believes Cambridge candidate Nick Hillman is heading for a strong result in the city.
Nationally, she believes there needs to be a "decisive decision" so the Government has clear mandate to lead the country.