Young chefs put to the taste test
THREE teenagers from Huntingdonshire put their culinary skills to the test at the weekend when they competed in the Rotary Young Chefs contest. The three faced competition from another 10 young chefs from schools in Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Lincol
THREE teenagers from Huntingdonshire put their culinary skills to the test at the weekend when they competed in the Rotary Young Chefs contest.
The three faced competition from another 10 young chefs from schools in Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Lincolnshire as they prepared a meal for two on a budget of £12.
Mary Hodgson-Jones, 15, from Kimbolton, Bernadette Vose, 14, from Hartford, a pupil at St Peter's School, and Thomas Mitcham, 14, a pupil at St Ivo School all took part in the event, which is sponsored by Waitrose, at Hinchingbrooke School, Huntingdon,
They were allowed 30 minutes to prepare and two hours to complete the meal.
You may also want to watch:
The winner, who will go on to the regional finals in Nottingham on March 8, was Afaf Jackson, 14, from Sleaford in Lincolnshire.
The contest ends with a national final in London in April.
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 3 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 4 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 5 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 9 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
Afaf created a starter of smoked salmon pate with lemon cup, a main course of roast honey and cumin chicken with Moroccan vegetables and cous cous, followed by a dessert of panettone pudding with cherry coulis, fresh cherries and cream. Afaf won £50 for herself and £40 for her school.
The judges were Robert Presland, head of food technology at Peterborough Regional College, Michael Gunney, head of catering at Waresley Golf Club, and Ian Campbell, head chef at the Three Horseshoes at Abbots Ripton.