You can bet on it!
FOOTBALL fans who like a flutter will typically punt on their favourite Premier League side – or perhaps Peterborough or Cambridge United. But the footballers of St Ives Town have given Huntingdonshire gamblers a rare opportunity to put their money behind
FOOTBALL fans who like a flutter will typically punt on their favourite Premier League side - or perhaps Peterborough or Cambridge United.
But the footballers of St Ives Town have given Huntingdonshire gamblers a rare opportunity to put their money behind a local side.
For the Westwood Road club's run in the national FA Vase competition has catapulted them into the national spotlight.
The final of the FA Vase is to be played at Wembley and broadcast live on television - and odds are now available for St Ives to make progress.
You may also want to watch:
A betting website (skybet.com) is offering odds on victory for St Ives in their fourth round match against Somerset side Bitton on January 19 - and to win the competition outright.
Saints are 11/10 to win the Bitton game and are 40/1 long shots to win the FA Vase.
- 1 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 2 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 3 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- 4 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 5 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 6 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 7 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 8 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 9 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 10 Huntingdon business is first in UK to supply American craft beer
Western League side Bitton are rated 15/8 to win the fourth round fixture while the draw is 5/2.
If St Ives succeed against Bitton, they would be just three victories away from a Wembley final.
St Ives joint-manager Jez Hall said: "As far as we are aware this is the first time we have been involved in a game where we can bet on ourselves to win.
"It is a reflection of how well we have done in the cup competitions and it is new territory for us - one or two of the lads might have a sneaky fiver on us to win, you never know."
FA Vase holders Truro City are the hot favourites for the competition, with odds of 9/4.
Every other side in the competition is at least 16/1.
INFORMATION: St Ives Town's match against Bitton takes place at Westwood Road, St Ives, on January 19.
Kick-off is 3pm and entry to the big match is £4.