Year to remember
A SERVICE dedicated to making shopping easier for people with mobility difficulties has celebrated its first birthday. Shop Mobility has helped about 1,000 people since it was established in Huntingdon. The service provides for people who require mobilit
A SERVICE dedicated to making shopping easier for people with mobility difficulties has celebrated its first birthday.
Shop Mobility has helped about 1,000 people since it was established in Huntingdon. The service provides for people who require mobility scooters but may not have access to them.
Debbie Drew, manager of Shop Mobility, said the scheme had enjoyed a successful first year and she was looking forward to many more.
"The year has gone so fast and we now have 88 members," she said. "The scheme is going from strength to strength and we are hoping to expand to cover St Ives in the near future."
You may also want to watch:
The scheme receives £25,000 from Huntingdonshire District Council each year and is a partnership between the HDC, the Papworth Trust, Hunts Forum and the Town Centre Partnership.
Operating from a mobile building in Princes Street, the scheme has 12 electric mobility scooters and three wheelchairs. It is open from 9am-4.30pm Wednesday to Saturday.
- 1 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 2 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 3 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 4 Have you seen Stevie the horse?
- 5 Parking spaces so narrow that driver had to climb out the boot!
- 6 Petition launched to save school transport for special needs schools
- 7 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 8 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 9 Plea to hold a Macmillan Coffee Morning as sign-ups drop
- 10 Back after Zoom meetings and in fine voice
The project is also looking for sponsorship so that it can become an independent charity.
INFORMATION: Anyone wanting to offer sponsorship or find our more can phone 01480 388377.