Work begins on Godmanchester car park
WORK started on Monday on a 246-space car park on the site of Huntingdonshire District Council s former depot at Bridge Place, Godmanchester. The £265,000 car park is expected to take 10 weeks to complete. The area will be fully lit, and CCTV cameras will
WORK started on Monday on a 246-space car park on the site of Huntingdonshire District Council's former depot at Bridge Place, Godmanchester.
The £265,000 car park is expected to take 10 weeks to complete. The area will be fully lit, and CCTV cameras will link to the district council's 24-hour control room contributing towards meeting the Park Mark - safer parking criteria.
HDC says the majority of its car parks have Park Mark status - an initiative of the Association of Chief Police Officers, aimed at reducing crime and the fear of crime in parking areas.
From July, long-stay visitors to the car park, which is currently free, will have to pay £1.50 for a stay of up to 10 hours or £4.80 for up to 23 hours. Similar changes will be made at the town's Riverside car park to discourage rail commuters taking up valuable town centre spaces.
You may also want to watch:
The need for a further long-stay car park in Huntingdon was identified as part a review of the car parking strategy within the district's market towns. Consultants who studied the four towns found that Huntingdon needed additional weekday parking. The additional space at Bridge Place, a short walk from Huntingdon town centre, was vacated last September, when a new £6.4million council depot opened at Latham Road, off the A141 near Spittals.
Cambridgeshire County Council is part-way through constructing a traffic-light controlled pedestrian crossing to improve the safety of crossing the road at that point.
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Nurses Day 2021: You thank our dedicated Hunts nurses for their care
- 4 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 5 Woman stole from terminally-ill mother
- 6 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Pasco Hussain is named as the new mayor of St Ives
- 9 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 10 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson