Woman dies after being hit by HGV on A1
- Credit: Archant
A woman in her 30s has died following a collision on the A1 southbound carriageway earlier this morning (Thursday).
Police were called to the A1 between the B645 and the A428 at 3.30am after a collision between a HGV and a pedestrian.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: “A woman has died following a collision on the A1 between the B645 Wyboston and the A428 this morning.
“A woman in her 30s was hit by a HGV on the southbound carriageway.”
The southbound carriageway has been opened from the A14 at Brampton Hut, Huntingdon, to the A428 turning for Eaton Socon, St Neots, but is currently down to one lane.
You may also want to watch:
Highways England have advised motorists to come off the A1 at Brampton Hut, junction 21, and take the A14 east and proceed to junction 24 Godmanchester.
At junction 24 they should then use A1198 south to Papworth to join B1040, then follow B1040 to A428 and take A428 to A1.
- 1 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 2 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 3 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 4 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 5 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 6 Entrepreneur and family businessman Philip Lalor has died
- 7 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 8 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 9 Covid cases highest in Hunts since pandemic began, new figures reveal
- 10 Fire service set to step in with vaccine roll-out
Duty operations manager for Highways England in the East, Ray George said: “We are working closely with police to reopen these roads as soon as possible, but it is difficult to say how long that will be at this stage as accident investigation needs to take place. We would advise drivers to find alternative routes if at all possible”.
The road was closed northbound, earlier this morning, from the A428 to the B645 turning for Eaton Ford but reopened at around 8am.
Long delays remain in the area and at the Buckden roundabout.
There was also an accident on the A421 in Bedfordshire which is affecting roads around St Neots.
Anyone who saw the incident or a woman walking along the A1 this morning is being asked to contact police on 101 and ask to speak to a member of the Road Policing Unit.