Witch logo meeting due to take place
WARBOYS school governors are due to meet tonight (Wednesday) to decide whether to ditch the witch . The row over whether the school should drop the logo it has carried for over 60 years has been raging since the beginning of the Easter holidays when a le
WARBOYS school governors are due to meet tonight (Wednesday) to decide whether to "ditch the witch".
The row over whether the school should drop the logo it has carried for over 60 years has been raging since the beginning of the Easter holidays when a letter went out to parents saying the school uniform would change.
The governors had decided to change the uniform colour from bottle green and drop the embroidered emblem of a witch on her broomstick.
The witch has been synonymous with the school since headteacher, Horace Hyde, asked the children to design a school logo in 1946.
Mr Hyde, a keen historian, wanted to commemorate the last people hanged in Britain for witchcraft, a family from Warboys, Alice and John Samuels and their daughter Agnes. The family was executed on April 5, 1593.
Parents contacted The Hunts Post and launched a campaign saying "Don't Ditch Our Witch". The logo is on the school bag, sweat-shirt, polo-shirt and fleece as well as on the stationery and signs. There is also a witch on the weather vane on the clock tower in the village.
- 1 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 2 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 5 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 6 House set alight in Brampton
- 7 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 8 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 9 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 10 Man who assaulted police officer claimed it was 'black magic'
Now, after more than 200 individual protest letters, a petition with over 900 signatures and sales of the witch car stickers for charity reaching a zenith, the villagers hope the school governors will change their minds.