Winning dance led to 60 years of marriage
IT was while serving in the forces during World War II that a St Neots couple were brought together. Now, some 60 years later, Jack and Kathleen Blyth of Wilkinson Close, Eaton Socon, are celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary. Mr Blyth, 83, was
IT was while serving in the forces during World War II that a St Neots couple were brought together.
Now, some 60 years later, Jack and Kathleen Blyth of Wilkinson Close, Eaton Socon, are celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary.
Mr Blyth, 83, was born overseas and Mrs Blyth, 85, was born in London but they have spent much of their married life living together in Eaton Socon.
During the war Mr Blyth was stationed at Eaton Socon near to where Mrs Blyth worked as a buildings secretary.
You may also want to watch:
The couple met in their 20s at a dance.
Mrs Blyth said: "I was dancing with a man who kept stepping on my feet because I'm not very good at dancing and Jack came and rescued me."
- 1 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 2 Alconbury to benefit from £200,000 flood protection funding
- 3 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 4 Giant elephant and free rides at Huntingdon Fun Day
- 5 Group charged in connection with Rutland Cycling burglary
- 6 New project will enhance river at Godmanchester
- 7 Sewer network improvements in £600k investment for St Neots
- 8 Village job club providing vital service
- 9 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 10 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
They danced for most of the night and went on to win a spotlight competition. "It wasn't because we were any good at dancing," added Mrs Blyth, "It just happened that the spotlight landed on us."
The couple were married on August 28, 1947, at St Neots register office after Mr Blyth was demobbed. They spent their honeymoon in Clayton and went on to have two daughters, Jeanine and Paula.
In later life, Mr Blyth managed St Neots Town Football Club.
Mr Blyth said the secret of a long and happy marriage was commitment: "You have to be committed to one another."
They celebrated 60 years of marriage on Tuesday by having a meal with their family and friends at Wyboston Lakes.