What would you demolish?
DEMOLITION of Pathfinder House, in Huntingdon, cannot come too soon for readers of The Hunts Post. Huntingdonshire District Council s headquarters is regarded almost universally as the worst public building in the town. The 1970s spec-built office block,
DEMOLITION of Pathfinder House, in Huntingdon, cannot come too soon for readers of The Hunts Post.
Huntingdonshire District Council's headquarters is regarded almost universally as the worst public building in the town.
The 1970s spec-built office block, which was bought by HDC in the 1970s, is set to be bulldozed in three years' time as part of a £23million redevelopment of the Pathfinder House site and the council's depots.
But are there any other building in St Neots, St Ives, Ramsey or elsewhere in the district which could compete with Pathfinder? We asked readers to nominate what they think are the 10 best and worst buildings in Huntingdonshire. Entries can come by post, e-mail or via our website (details below).
You may also want to watch:
Huntingdon and Godmanchester Civic Society's assertion that Huntingdon Library is the only 20th century public building of any merit seems to be widely supported. It is the only such building to receive a nomination so far.
Other favourists so far are 19th century or older, including the Cromwell Museum, which was the town's grammar school when the Lord Protector was a lad, and the 1745 Town Hall across the Market Square. St Mary's Church at the top of Huntingdon High Street is much admired, as is the Commemoration Hall in between. The old post office in George Street attracts some eyes, as does the George Hotel.
- 1 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 2 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 3 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 4 Family-run business with expanding reputation
- 5 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 6 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 7 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 8 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 9 St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor
- 10 For sale: Carefully crafted, new build homes with generous plots in rural village of Clopton
However, it is so far so bad for the 21st century. The almost-complete Saxongate complex in Hartford Road has thus far attracted only disapproval.
INFORMATION: Send your nominations for the 10 best and worst public buildings in Huntingdon to The Hunts Post, 30 High Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3TB, e-mail email@example.com or online at www.huntspost.co.uk or www. cambs24.co.uk