Well done HIAC
Judge Blomfield s comments came at the official opening of the non-profit-making Huntingdon Law Centre in Ermine Street, a beefed-up version of the Huntingdon Independent Advice Centre (HIAC) which is trying to fill the gap commercial law firms feel they
Judge Blomfield's comments came at the official opening of the non-profit-making Huntingdon Law Centre in Ermine Street, a beefed-up version of the Huntingdon Independent Advice Centre (HIAC) which is trying to fill the gap commercial law firms feel they can no longer fill.
This operation, with its sister centre in Cambridge, is one of only two in eastern England to belong to the Law Centres Federation, which says it fights for the rights of the most disadvantaged people in society.
By employing its own solicitors it has a right to be heard in the courts and, with other experienced staff, provides Legal Aid services in housing, welfare benefits, immigration, employment and debt.
Manager Susan Cawtherley said: "A law centre is distinguished from an advice centre in important ways and shares some of the features of a solicitors' private practice. It can also assist people who are not eligible for Legal Aid. And we could take cases through from initial appointment right up to the House of Lords, if necessary."
You may also want to watch:
Officially opening the new centre, Judge Blomfield paid tribute to the quality of advice and help HIAC had given to the courts. "Both opponents and the Bench have benefited from their commonsense approach. Their integrity is the key thing, and judges know they can rely on what they are told. Theirs is very important work in a caring society.
- 1 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 2 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 3 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 4 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 10 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed