Welcome breath of fresh air at Windmill
THE Windmill pub in Somersham has been awarded a National Clean Air Award for its smoking ban in its bar and restaurant. Although all pubs will soon face a Government-enforced ban, expected from summer next year, the Windmill went smoke-free when the venu
THE Windmill pub in Somersham has been awarded a National Clean Air Award for its smoking ban in its bar and restaurant.
Although all pubs will soon face a Government-enforced ban, expected from summer next year, the Windmill went smoke-free when the venue was refurbished at the end of last year.
The pub has received the silver award from The Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. The award was set up in memory of the entertainer Roy Castle who died in 1993 of lung cancer though he had never smoked. He blamed his illness on working in smoke-filled venues and dedicated the last year of his life on fighting to prevent lung cancer.
The silver award is for premises where smoking is restricted to external smoking shelters to eliminate passive smoking. This recognises pubs which allow smoking only outside. The gold award is for pubs which also ban smoking in their grounds.
You may also want to watch:
Windmill owner Stuart Clements said: "We've had really positive feedback from everyone since the ban. We're much more food-orientated now, and people were always phoning up asking for non-smoking tables, so it just seemed to make sense. The staff are certainly happier. We've had more people through the door, and many other pubs seem to be following our example, so I'm really pleased."
* As reported in The Hunts Post, the Three Horseshoes in Graveley was also awarded a silver Clean Air Award last year, having been the first in the district to go smoke free.
- 1 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 Brampton Post Office customers say fond farewell to postmaster
- 4 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 5 Organic Hunts beauty company Bossy Glossy gets celebrity support
- 6 Fish and Chip shop wins award
- 7 Free Covid testing kits now available at some pharmacies
- 8 St Neots care assistant Jack set to shine in BBC Three's Glow Up
- 9 Primary school earns Fairtrade status
- 10 Memories of St Neots' town centre