Weekly meetings called off as club looks for lifeline
A HUNTINGDON club run by disabled people for severely disabled adults is facing closure after being open just three years due to lack of funds. Go4iT, which has 20 members and operates out of the Medway Community Centre, in Huntingdon, has cancelled its w
A HUNTINGDON club run by disabled people for severely disabled adults is facing closure after being open just three years due to lack of funds.
Go4iT, which has 20 members and operates out of the Medway Community Centre, in Huntingdon, has cancelled its weekly meetings and will close entirely in a couple of weeks if funding cannot be secured.
Pat Wright, chairman of Go4iT, said: "The whole group is devastated by this news and were all in tears when I told them the club was closing.
"For them this is their only chance to socialise and to get out of the house.
You may also want to watch:
"We have all fought hard to keep this club going and for it to close is heartbreaking."
The club relies on donations and only has enough money left to fund a few small outings over the next few weeks.
- 1 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 2 Driver escapes injury after A14 lorry fire
- 3 Look inside new £260,000 luxury flats at former 90s nightclub
- 4 Huntingdon home to one of the most 'luxurious' breakfasts in the UK
- 5 Great turnout and 'disco royalty' at DSCNNCT festival
- 6 Four dogs rescued after being abandoned on A14
- 7 Pigeons still roosting on old A14 bridge despite preventative mesh
- 8 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Visiting to resume at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
To try to save the club, Pat has sent out more than 170 letters to businesses asking for support.
However, only a few, including Waitrose, have given any money.
She said: "We need £1,250 to remain open until the end of the year.
"There is no point reopening the weekly meetings and then closing them again three weeks later when we have run out of money as that would be too upsetting for the group."
The club is also appealing for help filling out grant forms. Pat said: "We are self-managing and all the committee are disabled and it is not easy to fill in grant forms.
"We are not dead yet but without funds it is only a matter of weeks until we are no more.
"We are not asking for much, just a small amount would help. Please, if there is anybody out there who can help us, we need that help now.
"It is our devout hope that we can recommence our weekly club meetings but we need money right now."
INFORMATION: To support the club contact Pat Wright on 01480 811054 or send your donations to 8 Cranfield Way, Buckden PE19 5TJ.