We need PR before General Election
TO all those calling for a General Election at the earliest opportunity, I suggest that now is not the time. Instead we must first seize the opportunity to make significant changes to our electoral system. We must end the present and totally undemocratic
TO all those calling for a General Election at the earliest opportunity, I suggest that now is not the time. Instead we must first seize the opportunity to make significant changes to our electoral system.
We must end the present and totally undemocratic first-past-the-post system whereby governments are elected by a minority of the electorate. There has not been one UK government since World War II that received a majority of the popular vote, despite all the media references to 'landslides'.
It is a system that even that much-venerated Conservative politician, the late Lord Hailsham, described as an 'elective dictatorship'. Yet now some notable MPs are even calling for an increase in the power of Parliament.
What is needed is full-on proportional representation under which, regardless of where you live, your vote counts. Politicians express their concern about the ever-decreasing turnouts at the polls.
Lowering the voting age and introducing on-line voting have been suggested to rectify this. However, only when people know that their vote will count will more people take the trouble to vote.
Recent events have clearly shown that our politicians cannot be trusted to police their own activities. Which constitutional reforms are needed cannot be left to either the politicians nor indeed to the unelected establishment to decide on our behalf. If ever there was a case for a referendum, we desperately need one now on the matter of electoral reform.
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 7 Club of the Week: St Ives u3a who have celebrated their 10-year anniversary
- 8 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 9 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 10 Could you give these pets a home?