Wartime romance is still going strong
A COUPLE who met and married during World War II are celebrating after being together for 65 years. Dorothy, 85, and Frederick Deller, 86, from Woodley Court, were married at Helpirngham Village Hall in Lincolnshire on February 1, 1941. Because the war
A COUPLE who met and married during World War II are celebrating after being together for 65 years.
Dorothy, 85, and Frederick Deller, 86, from Woodley Court, were married at Helpirngham Village Hall in Lincolnshire on February 1, 1941.
Because the war was on, their friends and family had to help provide food for the wedding reception.
"It was all much tougher back then, what with rationing, and we had to make do with what we had, but it was still a special occasion," said Mr Deller.
You may also want to watch:
The couple met in September 1939 at what used to be the grocery shop, International Stores, opposite the market place in Huntingdon.
Dorothy was born in Lincolnshire, and met Frederick when she was 20 after moving to Cambridgeshire.
- 1 Body discovered in Hartford believed to be missing Nathan
- 2 Car crashes into safety barriers as driver flees scene
- 3 Mayor launches digital campaign to improve St Ives road network
- 4 Landmark A14 viaduct demolition is captured on camera
- 5 Burglars used paving slabs and sledge hammers to smash into homes
- 6 Hemingford Abbots launched 'fantastic scheme' during pandemic
- 7 Bonito Platito Coffee & Co opens in Hemingford Grey
- 8 What does 'being wealthy' mean?
- 9 Paedophile offered 'naked massages' to undercover police officer
- 10 Police appeal to trace missing Huntingdon man
Frederick lived in Great Stukeley, and worked as an insurance agent when they met.
The couple have now lived in Woodley Court for 18 years, where Frederick is chairman of the residents' association.
They have also lived in Hemingford Abbots and Upwood.
The couple have twin sons, Peter and Paul.
When asked the secret of a long and happy marriage, Frederick said: "We seem to like the some things.
"I have never found anybody else and neither did she, so we stayed together, and we are still very happy together.