HAVING read with interest your feature on Living with the Enemy I am sure that many former members of the Huntingdon Street Methodist Church in St Neots, like myself, will recall the various occasions that German and Italian prisoners of war attended th
HAVING read with interest your feature on "Living with the Enemy" I am sure that many former members of the Huntingdon Street Methodist Church in St Neots, like myself, will recall the various occasions that German and Italian prisoners of war attended the morning service.
Alongside these could be small contingents of our own armed forces from Duloe Road Army Barracks and from RAF Graveley.
At one particular Christmas carol service that I recall we had contributions from the German and Italian groups, both singing carols in their own tradition and language. Stille Nacht sung by a group of German male voices carried the message of Christmas as effectively as any sermon. I should add that on this particular occasion there was one of the regular visits from members of the United States Air Force and they helped the celebration with their rendering of Joy to the World.
On a personal note, I was deputy-organist at the Huntingdon Street Church during the war years and, as a young teenager, I had the enviable experience of accompanying on several occasions a violinist from the Hamburg State Opera Orchestra who was a prisoner of war at Beeson House, Herr Schramm. He wrote a piece of music for the church at the time of his repatriation to Germany and dedicated it as a thank you for shared musical experiences.
You may also want to watch:
SPENCER W FREEMAN
- 1 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 2 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 3 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 4 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 10 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed