Warren memorial walk cancelled by safety concerns
A MEMORIAL walk to retrace the final steps of a teenager who was killed crossing a road has been cancelled because of safety fears. Hundreds of people were expected to join the Warren Hay Road Safety Action Group for a walk along the route taken by 16-ye
A MEMORIAL walk to retrace the final steps of a teenager who was killed crossing a road has been cancelled because of safety fears.
Hundreds of people were expected to join the Warren Hay Road Safety Action Group for a walk along the route taken by 16-year-old Warren just minutes before he was hit by a car on the A141 in Huntingdon.
The Warren's Journey event was planned for Thursday (May 8), exactly a year after the Alconbury teenager was knocked down on his way to Huntingdon's Jubilee Park.
The walk was to start at the Sapley car park at 7pm, with walkers crossing the A141 and heading to Jubilee Park before returning to the car park.
You may also want to watch:
However, The Hunts Post has discovered that the event was cancelled following a meeting with police last week.
Warren's mother, Maxine Hay, said officers were concerned about the walkers' safety crossing the A141.
- 1 St Neots rapist jailed for 11 years
- 2 New Post Office branch opens in St Neots
- 3 Eric Morecambe 'amused guests' when his family owned this St Ives hotel
- 4 Suspected firearm and drugs found in raid on Huntingdon house
- 5 'Unprecedented crisis’ over school bus drivers
- 6 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 7 Motorists urged not to 'panic buy' fuel as queues cause chaos across Hunts
- 8 Old Mill upgrade at Godmanchester is suspended through lack of materials
- 9 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
- 10 Hinchingbrooke Hospital needs 'urgent' rebuild by 2030, warns MP
"Due to concerns expressed by the police in relation to the fast moving traffic on this busy road we have reluctantly decided it would be unsafe for this event to go ahead," she said. "This is a joint decision.
"We didn't realise how much police resource would have been needed for something like this and we just can't risk anyone getting hurt.
"It is a disappointment for us because so many people wanted to take part, but we have taken on board the concerns of the police and that's why we have cancelled it."
She added: "The cancellation just works to emphasis the need for safety improvements on the road."
Chief Superintendent Mick Gipp told The Hunts Post: "I met with Maxine Hay to discuss the proposed walk. She shared our concerns regarding the safety of pedestrians on the A141 and I have advised against the walk due to the lack of a crossing facility, the speed and the volume of traffic.
"We will continue to work with the Warren Hay Road Safety Action Group to ensure that the issues they wish to highlight are brought to the attention of the public and other agencies.
"We will deploy limited resources to the area on May 8 to allow wreaths to be laid on the verge without people encroaching into the road and placing themselves in danger."
Mrs Hay said Warren's family and friends still plan to visit Jubilee Park on May 8 and the spot where Warren was killed to lay wreaths.
She added: "We are still looking at ways in which to commemorate Warren's life and we will be working with police to try and ensure that anyone turning up on the evening can be met by one of our group so that wreaths can be laid on either verge without anybody having to cross the dangerous carriageway."
After almost a year of campaigning, with backing from The Hunts Post, Cambridgeshire County Council, Huntingdonshire District Council and Huntingdon Town Council have agreed to jointly fund a light-controlled crossing on the A141.