Volunteers needed to shape St Ives Corn Exchange
VOLUNTEERS are being sought to help shape the future of the St Ives Corn Exchange. The town council is seeking members of the public to act as a steering group during work to revamp the building, which has been closed for seven years. The 18th Century b
VOLUNTEERS are being sought to help shape the future of the St Ives Corn Exchange.
The town council is seeking members of the public to act as a 'steering group' during work to revamp the building, which has been closed for seven years.
The 18th Century building has stood empty since 2001 when it was declared structurally unsound. The town council had looked set to sell it off until local businessman Michael Purchas proposed a rescue package to restore the building to community use.
Town clerk Alison Melnyczuk told The Hunts Post: "We are looking for people with skills and experience who can help move the project forward.
"The hall has to meet the needs of all kinds of diverse user groups and community groups and it is important they are all catered for."
Applications for the steering group are invited from people with any past experience in the areas of finance, personnel, health and safety, building management, fundraising or event management.
- 1 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 2 Woman dies in crash on London Road in St Ives
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 5 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 6 House set alight in Brampton
- 7 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 8 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 9 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
Mrs Melnyczuk added that next month's town council elections would not affect the process of regenerating the Corn Exchange.
Meanwhile, work to install a new lift in the town hall is scheduled to start on May 12. The work is being carried out to ensure the listed building complies with regulations relating to disabled access and will see staff moved downstairs and a wheelchair ramp erected at the front of the building.
INFORMATION: The closing date for applications for the steering group is Friday, April 25, contact the town council for details on 01480 388929.