VIDEO: Polecat captured on CCTV window shopping in St Neots
CCTV operators in Huntingdonshire were shocked to capture on video a polecat trying to participant in a spot of late-night shopping in St Neots town centre. The unusual sighting happened in the early hours of Wednesday, March 30 when the animal decided t
CCTV operators in Huntingdonshire were shocked to capture on video a polecat trying to participant in a spot of late-night shopping in St Neots town centre.
The unusual sighting happened in the early hours of Wednesday, March 30 when the animal decided to take advantage of the peaceful High Street and do some window shopping.
An alert CCTV operator for Huntingdonshire District Council spotted the polecat wandering in the street looking into shop windows.
After several minutes it decided to leave the area covered by CCTV and headed back to the area of the park.
You may also want to watch:
A countryside services spokesman, who saw the recording, said:
"It was an unusual sighting and was fascinating to see.
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 6 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 7 Charity 130-mile trek raises over £4,000 after rare diagnosis for Hunts man
- 8 Grants handed out to help people with cancer in Hunts total £17,000
- 9 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 10 'Am I being overcharged for gas and electricity'?
"The polecat could be somebody's pet which had escaped as their natural habitat is usually more rural areas."
Domesticated polecats are sometimes known as ferrets. They are common pets and are often used for hunting rabbits.
This is not the first time eagle-eyed CCTV operators have spotted unusual animals as earlier in the year they recorded footage of a seal swimming in the lock area at Godmanchester.