VIDEO: Polecat captured on CCTV window shopping in St Neots
CCTV operators in Huntingdonshire were shocked to capture on video a polecat trying to participant in a spot of late-night shopping in St Neots town centre. The unusual sighting happened in the early hours of Wednesday, March 30 when the animal decided t
CCTV operators in Huntingdonshire were shocked to capture on video a polecat trying to participant in a spot of late-night shopping in St Neots town centre.
The unusual sighting happened in the early hours of Wednesday, March 30 when the animal decided to take advantage of the peaceful High Street and do some window shopping.
An alert CCTV operator for Huntingdonshire District Council spotted the polecat wandering in the street looking into shop windows.
After several minutes it decided to leave the area covered by CCTV and headed back to the area of the park.
A countryside services spokesman, who saw the recording, said:
"It was an unusual sighting and was fascinating to see.
- 1 Police called to reports of violence in Huntingdon
- 2 Cyclist left with serious injuries after bus collision in St Ives
- 3 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 4 Concerns about late-night noise if club is granted alcohol extension
- 5 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 6 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 7 Eynesbury Rovers U8s enjoy 'one of greatest seasons in Hunts history'
- 8 Ramsey students crowned winners in science competition
- 9 Workers take strike action at St Neots power station in pay dispute
- 10 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
"The polecat could be somebody's pet which had escaped as their natural habitat is usually more rural areas."
Domesticated polecats are sometimes known as ferrets. They are common pets and are often used for hunting rabbits.
This is not the first time eagle-eyed CCTV operators have spotted unusual animals as earlier in the year they recorded footage of a seal swimming in the lock area at Godmanchester.