VIDEO: Polecat captured on CCTV window shopping in St Neots
CCTV operators in Huntingdonshire were shocked to capture on video a polecat trying to participant in a spot of late-night shopping in St Neots town centre. The unusual sighting happened in the early hours of Wednesday, March 30 when the animal decided t
CCTV operators in Huntingdonshire were shocked to capture on video a polecat trying to participant in a spot of late-night shopping in St Neots town centre.
The unusual sighting happened in the early hours of Wednesday, March 30 when the animal decided to take advantage of the peaceful High Street and do some window shopping.
An alert CCTV operator for Huntingdonshire District Council spotted the polecat wandering in the street looking into shop windows.
After several minutes it decided to leave the area covered by CCTV and headed back to the area of the park.
You may also want to watch:
A countryside services spokesman, who saw the recording, said:
"It was an unusual sighting and was fascinating to see.
- 1 Driver of fully laden HGV who failed breath test 'couldn't stand up unaided'
- 2 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 3 It's snowing! Send us your snow photos
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 6 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 9 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 10 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
"The polecat could be somebody's pet which had escaped as their natural habitat is usually more rural areas."
Domesticated polecats are sometimes known as ferrets. They are common pets and are often used for hunting rabbits.
This is not the first time eagle-eyed CCTV operators have spotted unusual animals as earlier in the year they recorded footage of a seal swimming in the lock area at Godmanchester.