Video: MP calls for people to fight for their post office
WITH The Hunts Post s Action Week for Post Offices beginning on Monday, an MP has called on people to stand up and fight for their local branches. Shailesh Vara, MP for North West Cambridgeshire, spoke to The Hunts Post during a visit to Ramsey Post Offic
WITH The Hunts Post's Action Week for Post Offices beginning on Monday, an MP has called on people to stand up and fight for their local branches.
Shailesh Vara, MP for North West Cambridgeshire, spoke to The Hunts Post during a visit to Ramsey Post Office on Friday.
Lending his backing to the Action Week, which starts today (Monday 21), Mr Vara said that demonstrating support for post offices was vital in securing their future.
"Post offices are vital for communities and in many cases there is a shop attached to the office which may also close," Mr Vara said.
Post Office Ltd wants to close 2,500 branches across the country, with up to a dozen in Huntingdonshire thought to be earmarked for closure.
The list of branches which the Post Office wants to close in Huntingdonshire will be announced on July 8.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 3 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 4 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 5 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 6 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 7 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 8 Recap: Lorry and car crash at A141-A1307 junction in Huntingdon
- 9 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 10 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
Ramsey postmistress Harvi Rayat told The Hunts Post: "If our post office were to close it would kill the town, and that is the case with most branches."
During The Hunts Post's Action Week for Post Offices, we are encouraging people to make a concerted effort to use their local branch at least once.
Free window stickers will be available for people to collect in their local branch by the time this week's edition of The Hunts Post hits the shelves on Wednesday.