Video & Gallery: Schools close and roads treacherous as county hit by heavy snow fall
AS predicted heavy overnight snow fall has led to disruption across the county with schools closing and treacherous driving conditions. The Met Office issued a severe weather warning for the East of England today (Friday, December 18) and said the freezi
AS predicted, a heavy overnight snow fall has led to disruption across the county with schools closing and treacherous driving conditions.
The Met Office issued a severe weather warning for the East of England today (Friday, December 18) and said the freezing conditions would continue through the weekend with widespread frost.
Hundreds of children were celebrating with 17 schools closed in Huntingdonshire and three in Cambourne because of the snow.
Those closed include: Abbey College, Ramsey, Abbots Ripton primary, Brington Primary, Monkfield Primary, Sawtry Infants, Sawtry Junior, Somersham Primary, Jeavons Wood Primary, The Vine Primary, All Saints' Primary, Somersham Primary, Fenstanton and Hilton Primary, Great Paxton Primary School, Hinchingbrooke School, Longsands College, Offord Primary School, Sawtry Junior School, St Ivo School, St Peter's School and Wyton Primary.
Police have issued a warning to motorists to take extra care when using the county's roads.
A police spokesman said: "Anyone who has to drive is urged to take account of the conditions, keep a sensible distance from other cars and keep in a high gear.
- 1 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 6 Hinchingbrooke Hospital get share of £4.5m to 'improve care'
- 7 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives
- 8 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 9 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
"Motorists are also advised to keep a shovel in their vehicle and a mobile phone where possible and carry additional water and a blanket."
INFORMATION: Email your snow pictures, videos and experiences to: Natalie.firstname.lastname@example.org