Video & Gallery: Schools close and roads treacherous as county hit by heavy snow fall
AS predicted heavy overnight snow fall has led to disruption across the county with schools closing and treacherous driving conditions. The Met Office issued a severe weather warning for the East of England today (Friday, December 18) and said the freezi
AS predicted, a heavy overnight snow fall has led to disruption across the county with schools closing and treacherous driving conditions.
The Met Office issued a severe weather warning for the East of England today (Friday, December 18) and said the freezing conditions would continue through the weekend with widespread frost.
Hundreds of children were celebrating with 17 schools closed in Huntingdonshire and three in Cambourne because of the snow.
Those closed include: Abbey College, Ramsey, Abbots Ripton primary, Brington Primary, Monkfield Primary, Sawtry Infants, Sawtry Junior, Somersham Primary, Jeavons Wood Primary, The Vine Primary, All Saints' Primary, Somersham Primary, Fenstanton and Hilton Primary, Great Paxton Primary School, Hinchingbrooke School, Longsands College, Offord Primary School, Sawtry Junior School, St Ivo School, St Peter's School and Wyton Primary.
You may also want to watch:
Police have issued a warning to motorists to take extra care when using the county's roads.
A police spokesman said: "Anyone who has to drive is urged to take account of the conditions, keep a sensible distance from other cars and keep in a high gear.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 3 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 4 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 5 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 6 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 7 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 8 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 9 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 10 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
"Motorists are also advised to keep a shovel in their vehicle and a mobile phone where possible and carry additional water and a blanket."
INFORMATION: Email your snow pictures, videos and experiences to: Natalie.firstname.lastname@example.org