Video & Gallery: Schools close and roads treacherous as county hit by heavy snow fall
AS predicted heavy overnight snow fall has led to disruption across the county with schools closing and treacherous driving conditions. The Met Office issued a severe weather warning for the East of England today (Friday, December 18) and said the freezi
AS predicted, a heavy overnight snow fall has led to disruption across the county with schools closing and treacherous driving conditions.
The Met Office issued a severe weather warning for the East of England today (Friday, December 18) and said the freezing conditions would continue through the weekend with widespread frost.
Hundreds of children were celebrating with 17 schools closed in Huntingdonshire and three in Cambourne because of the snow.
Those closed include: Abbey College, Ramsey, Abbots Ripton primary, Brington Primary, Monkfield Primary, Sawtry Infants, Sawtry Junior, Somersham Primary, Jeavons Wood Primary, The Vine Primary, All Saints' Primary, Somersham Primary, Fenstanton and Hilton Primary, Great Paxton Primary School, Hinchingbrooke School, Longsands College, Offord Primary School, Sawtry Junior School, St Ivo School, St Peter's School and Wyton Primary.
Police have issued a warning to motorists to take extra care when using the county's roads.
A police spokesman said: "Anyone who has to drive is urged to take account of the conditions, keep a sensible distance from other cars and keep in a high gear.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 3 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 4 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 5 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 6 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 7 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 8 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 9 Recap: Lorry and car crash at A141-A1307 junction in Huntingdon
- 10 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
"Motorists are also advised to keep a shovel in their vehicle and a mobile phone where possible and carry additional water and a blanket."
INFORMATION: Email your snow pictures, videos and experiences to: Natalie.email@example.com