Video & Gallery: Schools close and roads treacherous as county hit by heavy snow fall
AS predicted heavy overnight snow fall has led to disruption across the county with schools closing and treacherous driving conditions. The Met Office issued a severe weather warning for the East of England today (Friday, December 18) and said the freezi
AS predicted, a heavy overnight snow fall has led to disruption across the county with schools closing and treacherous driving conditions.
The Met Office issued a severe weather warning for the East of England today (Friday, December 18) and said the freezing conditions would continue through the weekend with widespread frost.
Hundreds of children were celebrating with 17 schools closed in Huntingdonshire and three in Cambourne because of the snow.
Those closed include: Abbey College, Ramsey, Abbots Ripton primary, Brington Primary, Monkfield Primary, Sawtry Infants, Sawtry Junior, Somersham Primary, Jeavons Wood Primary, The Vine Primary, All Saints' Primary, Somersham Primary, Fenstanton and Hilton Primary, Great Paxton Primary School, Hinchingbrooke School, Longsands College, Offord Primary School, Sawtry Junior School, St Ivo School, St Peter's School and Wyton Primary.
You may also want to watch:
Police have issued a warning to motorists to take extra care when using the county's roads.
A police spokesman said: "Anyone who has to drive is urged to take account of the conditions, keep a sensible distance from other cars and keep in a high gear.
- 1 Pubs with outdoor seating and details of how to book a table, from April 12
- 2 Village was location of rail disaster and hosted music festival for many years
- 3 Ancient church and former airfield are historical features of Graveley village
- 4 Man who drove at runner before crashing is disqualified
- 5 Village bonded during pandemic and community began stronger
- 6 Bandstand in Huntingdon lit up for Prince Philip as district pays tribute to 'dedicated' royal consort
- 7 Former Huntingdon MP, Sir John Major, talks about how the Queen will cope without the Duke at her side
- 8 What are the rules when pubs reopen on April 12
- 9 Vegetable collections and hand sanitiser production was village's response to pandemic
- 10 Highways England agreed to meet A14 campaigners at site of 'dangerous junctions'
"Motorists are also advised to keep a shovel in their vehicle and a mobile phone where possible and carry additional water and a blanket."
INFORMATION: Email your snow pictures, videos and experiences to: Natalie.email@example.com