Veterans navigate a path to reunion
RAF Wyton hosted the annual reunion known as Pathfinder Sunday. The day included a flying display by a Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. The Pathfinder Force was formed on August 15, 1942, at the request of the Air Ministry and init
RAF Wyton hosted the annual reunion known as Pathfinder Sunday.
The day included a flying display by a Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
The Pathfinder Force was formed on August 15, 1942, at the request of the Air Ministry and initially comprised five squadrons, one from each of the operational Bomber Command groups.
The Pathfinders lit up the way so the bombers could see their targets. The organisation chose top navigators, trained to guide and direct the bomber aircraft.
Royal Air Force Wyton was one of the first four bases the Pathfinder Force flew from in 1942.
Pathfinders and their guests travelled from across Britain for the day. The station commander, Group Captain Gordon Bruce, welcomed the guests in the Wyton officers' mess before a service at St George's Church.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 6 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Music was provided by the Wyton Area Voluntary Band. Readings were given by the station commander and Lady Broom, widow of Air Marshal Sir Ivor Broom, gave readings during the service.
The afternoon continued with a trip down memory lane in the Pathfinder museum with a chance to browse through old log books, records and writings while looking at photographs and uniforms from the Pathfinder days.
INFORMATION: RAF Wyton is organising the annual Pathfinder Dinner, to be held on March 20, 2008.