Veterans navigate a path to reunion
RAF Wyton hosted the annual reunion known as Pathfinder Sunday. The day included a flying display by a Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. The Pathfinder Force was formed on August 15, 1942, at the request of the Air Ministry and init
RAF Wyton hosted the annual reunion known as Pathfinder Sunday.
The day included a flying display by a Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
The Pathfinder Force was formed on August 15, 1942, at the request of the Air Ministry and initially comprised five squadrons, one from each of the operational Bomber Command groups.
The Pathfinders lit up the way so the bombers could see their targets. The organisation chose top navigators, trained to guide and direct the bomber aircraft.
You may also want to watch:
Royal Air Force Wyton was one of the first four bases the Pathfinder Force flew from in 1942.
Pathfinders and their guests travelled from across Britain for the day. The station commander, Group Captain Gordon Bruce, welcomed the guests in the Wyton officers' mess before a service at St George's Church.
- 1 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 2 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 3 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 4 Village job club providing vital service
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 7 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 9 New programme of events for Commemoration Hall
- 10 Benefits cut will leave Hunts families 'in debt', warns charity
Music was provided by the Wyton Area Voluntary Band. Readings were given by the station commander and Lady Broom, widow of Air Marshal Sir Ivor Broom, gave readings during the service.
The afternoon continued with a trip down memory lane in the Pathfinder museum with a chance to browse through old log books, records and writings while looking at photographs and uniforms from the Pathfinder days.
INFORMATION: RAF Wyton is organising the annual Pathfinder Dinner, to be held on March 20, 2008.