UPDATE: Huge fire at the Three Horseshoes Pub in Abbots Ripton
A SEVENTEENTH century village pub has been gutted by fire.More than 50 firefighters today (Tuesday) were sent to tackle the blaze which broke out at about 4pm at the Three Horseshoes pub in Abbots Ripton.
A SEVENTEENTH century village pub has been gutted by fire.
More than 50 firefighters today (Tuesday) were sent to tackle the blaze which broke out at about 4pm at the Three Horseshoes pub in Abbots Ripton.
The fire spread quickly through the pub’s thatched roof, destroying 50 per cent of the building.
Gary Mitchley, station manager at Huntingdon fire station, told The Hunts Post that the pub had been “well alight” but no one had been injured or had to be rescued.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Crews worked quickly to contain the fire but unfortunately it took hold and spread quickly causing extensive fire damage to the front of the building.”
Mr Mitchley said firefighters had managed to save the rear extension and the conservatory, which make up the restaurant and accommodation areas.
- 1 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 2 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 3 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 4 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 5 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 6 Stuie Delf launches new fundraising campaign in memory of his brother
- 7 Letter of the Week: 'Could we sue stores who don't enforce mask wearing'?
- 8 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
He added that it was too early to know the cause of the blaze and a full investigation would be carried out.
The fire was still not extinguished at 6pm and firefighters were expected to remain at the scene throughout the night.
Police closed the road leading through the village.
An eye witness said the oldest part of the building had been mostly destroyed with all the thatch gone.
Robert Pickard, who lives opposite the pub, said: “I saw the thatched roof well alight. I heard that someone had knocked on the window of the pub to tell them to get out because the roof was on fire.”
The hotel, pub and restaurant in Moat Lane is Grade II listed.