I ATTENDED a public meeting in St Neots on September 20, aimed at setting up a branch of Unite Against Fascism in the town. This was organised following this year s local elections when the BNP stood a candidate in Eynesbury, securing almost 300 votes. I
I ATTENDED a public meeting in St Neots on September 20, aimed at setting up a branch of Unite Against Fascism in the town.
This was organised following this year's local elections when the BNP stood a candidate in Eynesbury, securing almost 300 votes.
I was hugely encouraged by the number of people, of all ages and backgrounds, who came to this meeting and by their determination to reject the racism and hatred preached by the BNP.
Young people left intending to hold gigs under the Love Music, Hate Racism banner, while others went away resolved to prevent the BNP gaining a foothold in the town and to confront racist views in their day-to-day lives.
You may also want to watch:
With people across the globe facing the shared problems of climate change and environmental destruction, the need to come together as a nation and as a species has never been more pressing.
The vast majority of people in Huntingdonshire totally reject bigotry and hatred. By standing up to the hate-mongers, they can also discover the collective power they have to tackle the social and environmental problems which fuel the resentment people like the BNP try to exploit.
- 1 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 2 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 5 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 6 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 7 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 8 Event to remember village's war hero
- 9 St Neots Town get new boss as Corr takes up Cambridge post
- 10 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
JOHN CLARE, Prospective Green Party Parliamentary Candidate for Huntingdon
Ramsey Road, Warboys