I ATTENDED a public meeting in St Neots on September 20, aimed at setting up a branch of Unite Against Fascism in the town. This was organised following this year s local elections when the BNP stood a candidate in Eynesbury, securing almost 300 votes. I
I ATTENDED a public meeting in St Neots on September 20, aimed at setting up a branch of Unite Against Fascism in the town.
This was organised following this year's local elections when the BNP stood a candidate in Eynesbury, securing almost 300 votes.
I was hugely encouraged by the number of people, of all ages and backgrounds, who came to this meeting and by their determination to reject the racism and hatred preached by the BNP.
Young people left intending to hold gigs under the Love Music, Hate Racism banner, while others went away resolved to prevent the BNP gaining a foothold in the town and to confront racist views in their day-to-day lives.
With people across the globe facing the shared problems of climate change and environmental destruction, the need to come together as a nation and as a species has never been more pressing.
The vast majority of people in Huntingdonshire totally reject bigotry and hatred. By standing up to the hate-mongers, they can also discover the collective power they have to tackle the social and environmental problems which fuel the resentment people like the BNP try to exploit.
- 1 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Huntingdon MP joins growing voices of dissent over Boris
- 4 New business celebrates its grand opening in St Ives
- 5 Who are the runners and riders to replace Boris Johnson as PM?
- 6 Blood donors needed urgently for session in Huntingdon
- 7 Sign up for free catalytic converter marking event
- 8 Former college site at Alconbury Weald is given new lease of life
- 9 Five bedroom house with gardens for sale in quiet village of Eaton Socon
- 10 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
JOHN CLARE, Prospective Green Party Parliamentary Candidate for Huntingdon
Ramsey Road, Warboys