I ATTENDED a public meeting in St Neots on September 20, aimed at setting up a branch of Unite Against Fascism in the town. This was organised following this year s local elections when the BNP stood a candidate in Eynesbury, securing almost 300 votes. I
I ATTENDED a public meeting in St Neots on September 20, aimed at setting up a branch of Unite Against Fascism in the town.
This was organised following this year's local elections when the BNP stood a candidate in Eynesbury, securing almost 300 votes.
I was hugely encouraged by the number of people, of all ages and backgrounds, who came to this meeting and by their determination to reject the racism and hatred preached by the BNP.
Young people left intending to hold gigs under the Love Music, Hate Racism banner, while others went away resolved to prevent the BNP gaining a foothold in the town and to confront racist views in their day-to-day lives.
You may also want to watch:
With people across the globe facing the shared problems of climate change and environmental destruction, the need to come together as a nation and as a species has never been more pressing.
The vast majority of people in Huntingdonshire totally reject bigotry and hatred. By standing up to the hate-mongers, they can also discover the collective power they have to tackle the social and environmental problems which fuel the resentment people like the BNP try to exploit.
- 1 New griddle restaurant opens in St Neots
- 2 Man from Alconbury sentenced for sexual assault
- 3 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 4 New emergency facilities open at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 5 Do you remember the old cinemas in Huntingdonshire?
- 6 Godmanchester Mill River Enhancement project starts in May
- 7 Concerns raised about increase in lorries if plan goes ahead
- 8 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 9 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'
- 10 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
JOHN CLARE, Prospective Green Party Parliamentary Candidate for Huntingdon
Ramsey Road, Warboys