Two St Neots young adults win community award
A FORMER teenage boy racer whose reckless driving left him in a wheelchair and a teenage girl who helps disabled children go swimming have both won awards. Nick Bennett, 23, from Papworth Everard, and Katie Entwistle, 18, from St Neots, received awards
A FORMER teenage boy racer whose reckless driving left him in a wheelchair and a teenage girl who helps disabled children go swimming have both won awards.
Nick Bennett, 23, from Papworth Everard, and Katie Entwistle, 18, from St Neots, received awards from Yopey - Young People of the Year, sponsored by Spicers.
Nick crashed his car at 17 trying to overtake two vehicles. He now gives talks to schools and has raised over £10,000 for Magpas, the volunteer emergency service which helped to save his life. He also raises money for the Cambridge charity Headway which helps people with head injuries.
Katie was nominated for an award for helping at the Upsidedown Club in St Neots for children with special needs of all categories.
You may also want to watch:
It caters for 40 children, allowing them to swim at the pool in Barford Road, Eynesbury.
Katie, a student at Huntingdonshire Regional College, helps youngsters who need aid to get into the water and with support when they are in the pool.
- 1 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Fundraisers hit £400,000 milestone after month of charity challenges
- 6 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 7 Food business sponsors new kit for under-10s
- 8 Spuds in a bucket competition at the gardening club
- 9 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 10 Freed from custody, animal rights campaigner back at Camp Beagle
INFORMATION: The Spicer Young People of the Year Award was founded by former national newspaper journalist Tony Gearing. See www.youngpeopleoftheyearaward.org