Turning St Ives into a retail doughnut
THE latest attempt to destroy the retail centre of St Ives has been mounted by the developer of the Manchester Arms site. Similar to the other developers on the St Ives ring road they are intent on making us a “doughnut town” - nothing at the centre.
The proposal is to turn the Manchester Arms into a ring road supermarket. In their long, spurious and inaccurate proposal to HDC they attempt to minimise the effect on our town centre by referring to the proposed development as a “convenience store” when it is as big as Budgens in the town centre and has 26 car parking spaces!
We all know that every time a retail development is allowed on the ring road we lose a similar sized retailer from the same sector in our town - remember the Marsh Harrier opened on the ring road and the Robin Hood closed in the town centre?
Please support our wonderful town by objecting to this proposal and by lobbying your district councillor.
JANE and RICHARD WATERS
You may also want to watch:
Time for Health
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Letter of the Week: Brexit gain for food bank!
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
- 5 More Readers' Photos for this week
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 8 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 9 Wildlife group wants to hear about grass snake sightings
- 10 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'