Tribute to Nelson at celebration
THE St Neots Branch of the Royal Society of St George held its annual celebration dinner at the Chequers Inn in Eynesbury. The society supports good causes in England through its charitable foundation and has Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth as its patron.
THE St Neots Branch of the Royal Society of St George held its annual celebration dinner at the Chequers Inn in Eynesbury.
The society supports good causes in England through its charitable foundation and has Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth as its patron.
Member of Parliament for Huntingdon Jonathan Djanogly, who is patron of the St Neots branch, led the celebrations with a speech on the battle of Trafalgar.
He said: "In 1805, Admiral Lord Nelson attempted to lure the French out for a major battle.
"On October 21, off the cape of Trafalgar, the Royal Navy fleet of 27 attacked and decisively defeated a French and Spanish fleet of 33 ships in the most significant naval battle of the Napoleonic wars.
"The enemy lost 22 ships, the Royal Navy lost none.
- 1 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 2 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 3 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 4 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 5 Joyce proudly shows off her 100th birthday card from the Queen
- 6 Fire safety warning as Met Office warns second heatwave on way
- 7 Little Gransden Air and Car Show to celebrate 30 years of fundraising for children in need
- 8 War-time crash crew take on street names in Godmanchester
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 Little Gransden woman in line for prestigious national award
"The victory confirmed naval supremacy which lasted for over a hundred years and enabled the expansion of trade, national wealth, the industrial revolution and the freedom we have today."
The St Neots branch of the society was established by St Neots town councillor Barry Chapman. The President of the St Neots Branch is former St Neots Mayor, Cllr Paul Ursell.