Travellers’ needs are ignored
WHEN I attended the HDC planning meeting in St Ives, I was amazed to witness the unruly placard-bearing protestors, the Somersham action group, acting out their openly discriminating warped opinions, and being allowed to do so at an important meeting. It
WHEN I attended the HDC planning meeting in St Ives, I was amazed to witness the unruly placard-bearing protestors, the Somersham action group, acting out their openly discriminating warped opinions, and being allowed to do so at an important meeting. It defies comprehension.
Would 100 gypsies be allowed to protest at a council meeting? I don't think so.
The rights for travellers and gypsies are an important issue for a government that has claimed to have a long tradition of championing minorities and the excluded.
That reputation will be tarnished if it fails to deliver a fair and effective mechanism to provide more sites for gypsies and travellers at a time when it is trumpeting policy initiatives such as decent homes for all and cohesive and sustainable communities, which to date appear to have ignored the needs of the traveller communities.
You may also want to watch:
The reasons for excluding gypsy families from obtaining permission at Catworth and Somersham were based on inflammatory, discriminating objections and nothing to do with planning matters. The planning policies for gypsy people must be decided by a neutral Planning Inspectorate.
District councils failing to provide fair provision will provoke a very unhealthy relationship with travellers.
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 4 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 5 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
- 6 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 9 Police warning after spate of thefts from cars in Warboys
- 10 Strictly favourites Anton and Giovanni set for star-studded show
JAMES ADAMS, Sawtry Way, Wyton on the Hill