Town in turmoil
WHAT has happened to Huntingdon? That once charming county town has been improved beyond recognition. Perhaps the planners would like to answer a few questions? How long do they think before the people living in Saxongate complain about St Mary s Church
WHAT has happened to Huntingdon? That once charming county town has been "improved" beyond recognition. Perhaps the planners would like to answer a few questions?
How long do they think before the people living in Saxongate complain about St Mary's Church clock chiming and the occasional ringing of the bells? What on earth possessed planners to agree to a building, which, in a proper situation such as a modern village, would not seem so out of place, but sticks out like a sore thumb on the corner of Hartford Road.
All Saints' Church is now overshadowed by the new court building - who agreed to that?
The area around St Benedict's Court has become an open invitation to vandals. I wonder how long it will take for trees to be up-rooted and graffiti to appear.
It would now appear that one of the few open spaces alongside the river is to be turned into a car park - wonderful! The town does not hold enough attraction for drivers to park there and walk half a mile into town. What is wrong with utilising the old secondary modern site as a multi-storey car park with a walkway to Chequers Court?
Is it any wonder that people, like me, come from Huntingdon but seldom go there?
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 6 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 7 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 8 Club of the Week: St Ives u3a who have celebrated their 10-year anniversary
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash